Monday, September 06, 2010

White, Not Pink

Last Thursday night, I was in a mall waiting for my brother, when I saw this booth for a skin whitening product. I began reading its poster, which boasts of the wonders it will do to your normal problem areas:

* Underarms
* Inner Thighs
* Knees
* Elbows
* Areola
* Other dark spo...

Whoa! Did I just read Areola?! There is actually a demand for this?! When has this become a problem area?! I mean, why the hell would someone want to whiten their areola? Nobody would be able to know the difference! (Of course, I’m assuming that the user is not in the habit of showing off her bosom in public. But I may be wrong.)

I know Filipinos are very much into these products to get that fairer skin they’ve been dreaming of. But this? Madness!

And to think a very popular local actress is endorsing this product, and her face is all over the promo materials. Has she really used it on her so-called problem areas? I’m guessing she probably doesn’t know what areola means.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:03 PM

    That's funny because my friend who is black found is crazy when she visited philippines last year. She thinks its a bit off why people here make such a big deal to become white when we have the perfect skin color.
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right?! It's crazy. Blame it on colonial mentality. Although there's also the-grass-is-always-greener-on-the-other-side thinking.

    ReplyDelete