Sunday, September 12, 2010

And The List Gets Longer

First Thing #18- Pay my own rent
Yes, after 30 years, this is the first time I've paid for my own rent. Up until now I have always lived with my parents, basically living a free loader's life. Although I left home for college, I still lived with relatives so that's still not counted as living on my own.

When we (my brothers and I) first moved in to the apartment last week, I felt a sudden rush of pride, for doing something as mature as this. And yet when I handed the rent money to the landlady, I almost didn't let go haha! Well, I thought of it but I didn't really do it :) I guess it's just the newness and the reality of it all that scares me. Will I still be able to pay the rent next month?

I pray to God, yes!

First Thing #19- Do some housekeeping stuff
Connected to moving to my own place, I also had to buy home stuff like pillows, pails, broom, etc. These are the things I don't usually think about when I'm at home because they're just there. Now, I have to scour for these things and even have to go to stores where I can buy them cheap. (That's also a first time for me, budgeting) I have also learned to take my time in shopping, making the most practical and cost-efficient choice.

I also had to learn to do regular house-cleaning chores (but most of it I delegate to my brother, hehe), and be obsessive-compulsive when it comes to making sure that all our doors and gate have been securely locked.

Since we don't have a fridge and working stove yet, one chore I utterly dread would have to be learned much later. Whew! (If you must know, it's cooking)

First Thing #20- Repair an umbrella by myself
Sorry, I know this is kinda weird and somehow un-related to the first two.

Living and commuting here in Manila, it's mandatory that one should be armed with an umbrella always, since the weather is unpredictable- terribly hot now, then terribly wet the next. As such, the daily rigors of weather-changing has taken its toll on my poor umbrella. After only a month, it's been un-stitched at the ribs and tips.

So instead of bringing it to the repair shop and spend a couple of hundred bucks, I just decided to fix it myself. All I needed was thread and needle, and voila! It's now good as new!

2 comments:

  1. you moved!!!!! congratulations :) kitakits usab puhon day. dugay na ganahan makakita si cris nimo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah we did na. Kita bitaw ta soon, the 3 of us haven't been in the same room/place for the longest time :)

    ReplyDelete