Sunday, February 13, 2011

Full of (Hot) Air

OK, so this wasn't my 2nd to the last installment after all. But I wanted to post this lest I forget to do so. Besides, a post with the last 3 First Things seems a better idea.

First Thing #27 - See hot air balloons in person.

So we woke up really early on a Sunday to watch these hot air balloons take flight. Wait, scratch that. We didn't wake up early, we didn't sleep at all.

Since they were scheduled to take flight around 5:30am, my friend and I decided to watch a late night movie at 11:30 the previous night (we watched 127 Hours. Major eew!), pick up our other friends at 3am then head off to Clark.

Well, the Hot Air Balloon Festival didn't start promptly. Shocker! I think it's because it's still too dark and cloudy for them to fly the balloons? But that's just my theory. We were getting sleepy and hungry (the cool, early morning breeze didn't help), so when we heard the National Anthem blasting from the speakers, signaling the start of the fest, I felt a rush of excitement!

We didn't get to see the balloons up close since we're not too keen on squeezing our way through the huge crowd that showed up that day. But they looked good anyhow, from where we were standing. It's just a shame that for one to ride in one, you have to pay $150! Gosh.

Anyway, all in all it was a good way to spend a pre-Valentine weekend. Who wouldn't want to see Darth Vader up in the air?


2 comments:

  1. That is soooo beautiful!

    Good you woke up for it. I used to watch it when I was small in NY but haven't been in decades.

    How many balloons took off? $150 is a bit much, normally I see $100, hahaha, big savings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, they really were especially against the early morning sun. Wish we saw them up close, though.

    There were about 20 something balloons, I think. The $150 is steep, I think they're taking advantage of the fact that it's just a yearly thing, haha!

    ReplyDelete