Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Bookworm Log #5: Flipped

A friend first told me about the movie two years ago, but I never got around to getting a copy. So when I saw the book a few days ago, I immediately decided to buy it! Penned by Wendelin Van Draanen, Flipped is a cute story of family, friendship and first love.

The story is alternately narrated by both protagonists, Julianna and Bryce, so events are presented in two slightly different perspectives. It starts when Bryce's family moves to Juli's neighborhood a few days before they start school in second grade, and Juli is immediately smitten by blue-eyed Bryce. Juli liked Bryce all throughout their childhood and Bryce feels just the opposite for Juli. Until they reach eighth grade when everything gets flipped.

I liked the way both perspectives were written. I found it funny that they were typical 'he said-she said', you know, the way a girl describes every little thing in detail and a guy glosses over them and just talks about the main points. Haha! I also loved the moments with Bryce's grandpa and the lesson he taught them that who or what a person will become is determined by the choices he makes during childhood.

Overall, I liked Flipped because it brought me to that happy place where everything's alright in the world. It also made me remember the kilig feeling when you see your crush. Haaay! This is such a light and easy read that I was able to start and finish it at the airport while waiting for my flight to Cebu. Our flight was delayed for at least an hour, so it was a very good thing that I had this to keep me company.


No comments:

Post a Comment