Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Thank You For The Music!

Last Saturday, I went to see the musical Mamma Mia! in CCP together with my mom and sister, and we had a blast! First of all, I love the theater and especially musicals. I also love lighthearted and feel-good stories. And then you add the songs of ABBA to the equation, yun na!

Like in the movie version, the story is about Sophie who tries to find out who her father is so she invited 3 guys from her mother's past to Greece on the eve of her wedding, and it's one big riot when everyone meets. It's been a while since I've seen the movie so I had a vague idea of what it's about, but it didn't matter because the story's simple enough to follow. The set's really cool and simple, just two wall-like structures (where the actors hide when it's not their scene) which they just turn and rearrange every scene change. The whole cast is awesome- great voices and dancing abilities, but the crowd favorite that night was the lady who played Rosie. Bentang-benta lahat ng jokes nya, haha!

But of course, the whole musical would be nothing without the music of ABBA. I love, love, love their songs and I know the lyrics to most of them by heart! Thanks to the invention of videoke and the real Dancing Queen, my mom. I couldn't help but sing along to Honey, Honey, Chiquitita, Thank You For The Music and Take A Chance On Me. It was so cool when they sang Dancing Queen for the finale and everyone was clapping and singing along, some even stood up and danced to their hearts' content. My mom and I almost did, nagpipigil lang na sumayaw hehe.

Overall, Mamma Mia is definitely the ultimate feel-good show and I'm glad they were able to bring the musical to Manila for all of us pinoy ABBA fans to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment