Sunday, May 09, 2010

Oh my vote!

Election Day is just a few hours away, and I can't help but feel anxious for my country.

This is the first time we'll have an automated one and problems have been surfacing even as of this writing: machines not working, power failure, and security threats. Despite these, the COMELEC has assured the public that it's all systems go for tomorrow. I sincerely hope that they are right.

But amidst all the brouhaha, what gives me hope is that I think Filipinos are now more concerned with our government's future. More and more Pinoys are making themselves aware of our country's issues and are being less apathetic to our current situation. I know of people my age who will be voting again after a long time,(myself included, as I have not voted for the last 3 elections. Yes, I am very ashamed of this.) or for the very first time, and I take this as a very good sign.
I say, awareness is the first step to making positive change.

Others have even taken on a more proactive stance by taking to the streets and campaigning for their bet, by sharing vital information about each candidate and help us make informed choices, or by simply wearing their candidate's color. I have never seen the country, since the 1980s, be filled with people who wear
their political hearts on their sleeves. And I think this is the beauty of democracy. Every one is entitled to make their choice, and not be condemned for making that choice.

So I'm urging every one reading this to please pray for our country. May our democracy be protected, and may this election bring out only the best in everyone. May peace reign throughout the country and from this, may the rightful leaders we need and deserve emerge victorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment