Friday, April 03, 2015

Visiting Prague: Mucha Museum

The Mucha Museum wasn't in my original itinerary. In fact, I have never heard of Alphonse Mucha until a friend suggested I go to the museum when I get to Prague.

So after visiting Kafka and hanging out and eating lunch at the Old Town Square, I decided to walk around and try to find the museum. After a couple of hours of getting lost (even for a map enthusiast like me, Prague's inner streets could be a bit confusing), I was ready to give up my search. But as I turned the corner, I found myself right outside its door. I guess I was meant to be there hehe.

Alphonse Mucha was an acclaimed Czech Art Nouveau painter and decorative artist, and was most famous for the theatre posters he created for French stage and early film actress Sarah Bernhardt.

 Some of Mucha's works. All images from Wikipedia

Mucha created paintings, posters, advertisements, and book illustrations, as well as designs for jewelry, carpets, wallpaper, and theatre sets. His works frequently featured beautiful women in flowing robes, surrounded by flowers. Although he gained fame for his commercial art, Mucha wanted to concentrate more on his artistic and nationalistic projects.

The Mucha Museum houses over 100 exhibits comprising his paintings, photographs, charcoal drawings, pastels, lithographs and personal memorabilia. It was beautifully curated that you're guided through his artistic evolution. Too bad I got to the museum about 45 minutes to closing, which was not enough time for me to study each piece closely, and I also didn't get to finish his video biography. :(


How much is the museum fee:
The ticket costs CZK240. And if you buy Mucha tickets at the Kafka Museum (and vice versa) you can get it at half the cost. I didn't buy ahead because I wasn't sure I was gonna be able to find it.

How to get there:
The museum is along Panska street, just a block away from Wenceslas Square, which I didn't realize until after I left the museum hehehe. You can take the metro (green line A) and get off Mustek station, walk towards Jindrisska street and then turn on Panska street.


So if you have time and money to spare, why not drop by the Mucha Museum and learn more about the man and his art.

No comments:

Post a Comment