Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Practical Tip: Sock It!

I have never been much of a socks fan. I only wore them in grade school and high school, when white socks are mandatory with black leather shoes; or had to wear rubber shoes or sneakers, which was rare. I prefer open-toed sandals because they made my feet feel free. (Whoa, lots of e's there!)

Weird trivia: back when parents gave socks to their kids that are 1 or 2 sizes too big, the normal way was to fold them under the feet. I always folded mine above the feet because I didn't like the bulky feeling of that 'extra' cloth.

Anyhoo, when I started working socks were non-existent in my wardrobe. For how can you wear socks with pumps, slingbacks and stilettos?! I'd wear flip flops while driving and then just slip on my high heels on my way to the office.

BUT! I had to change my routine when I started commuting. Since there's a lot of walking involved, I have to wear a pair of flat shoes most of the time. Now, wearing closed shoes without socks is a bit unhygienic because you sweat more and that can breed fungi. Wearing stockings was out of the question because they're too uncomfortable for our weather (although they say wearing stockings prevent developing varicose veins) and the ankle-length variety doesn't really look good. And so, my search for the best low cut socks began!

From the numerous brands I have tried, I will just feature the top 3 here:

1. Marks & Spencer

This one's my favorite because it has the lowest cut, which makes it perfect for ballet flats and mary janes. But even if the socks are super low cut, they won't slip out because of the adhesive-like stopper by the soles.

Material: Thick cotton, which is soft and comfy

Price: Php200+ Although it's the most expensive among the three, it's a very good buy because of the reasons mentioned above.

Colors: The socks are available in black and nude.

Top view

There's an adhesive-like stopper inside the soles

2. Muji

Toe coverage (I dunno how else I can describe it) is a bit wide for me, pretty much like the rest of the other brands. But the interesting here is that the Muji socks have a slingback design, which makes it 100% non-slip! So I think you can still wear these if you have slingback sandals.

Material: Airy, a bit net-like in texture

Price: Php140+

Colors: Black and Grey
Grey slingback socks

3. Biofresh

Their low cut variety is better than the standard size but I find that it's still not as low as I want my socks to be. Which is still fine, because if you're already okay with the standard size. Although it also has an in-sole stopper like Marks & Spencer's, it isn't really effective. After just a few minutes of walking, I can already feel the socks slipping.

Material: Light cotton

Price: Php125 for 3 pairs, which makes it the most budget-friendly brand

Color: Nude and Black
Three pairs in a pack

Top view

In-sole stopper

Happy sock hunting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment