Saturday, January 28, 2012

Bookworm Log #1 and #2: Stieg Larsson

One of my goals this year is to get more brain food and so I resolved to read at least 20 books in 2012.

My first two for the year were both penned by Stieg Larsson, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire, the first two books of his trilogy.


For Dragon Tattoo, I found it a bit too hard to read in the beginning because it started really slow. (Side story, I brought this book with me to Boracay and apparently my friend did too. He never got past 20 pages, hehe) There were a few characters introduced in the beginning whose significance to the story I couldn't seem to understand right away, and it also kept me wondering until the middle of the book when the two main characters, Mikael Blomkvist and Lisbeth Salander, would finally meet.

But when I got to Chapter 3, when all the action started, I found it hard to put the book down. It has a good mix of action, suspense, mystery, gore and even humor, that I found very addictive. Larsson has the ability to tease the readers' logical reasoning and imagination, and he will keep you guessing who did what and, more importantly, what the hell is going on??

However, one big downside to Dragon Tattoo, is that it has very anti-climactic ending which somehow felt like an afterthought. Coming from action-packed events, I was left with 'That's it??' I felt that the ending should have happened 2 chapters earlier. But I'm not an author, so whatever. Anyway, I'm still excited to see the movie version and find out how the story is translated to film. I think Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara fit the roles perfectly.

The Girl Who Played With Fire is also very thrilling and still had the theme about violence against women. Here, the pace is a bit faster and if the story's not confusing enough, Larsson introduced concepts about Math and Algebra. Lisbeth turns out to be not just a computer genius, she also is a Math prodigy. Some of the characters in the first book, who I thought were just minor bit players, reappear here and are given more dimension.

But again, the ending was torture! As in super bitin and I'm like 'Teh, anyare?!' You'd have to read the third book to know what happens to Salander and Blomkvist.

So,... you can bet that Bookworm Log #3 would have to be about The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest. Now excuse me while I go run to the bookstore and buy me a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment