Sunday, April 04, 2010

Act your Age

People, especially older ones, often say: "Act your age!"

But does anybody really know how to do that? Not me, definitely.

If the 2 "first things" I did on my birthday were any indication of my age, you'd probably think I just turned 18 or something. (Notice the subtle self-flattery there? :P) Subconsciously, maybe I was trying to do these hoping to turn back time or maybe suspend it for just a little while.

So here are the 'non-adult' things I've done recently. Nothing major, but still...:

First Thing #8 - Not being allowed to drive my own car after partying.
No, I didn't get grounded by my parents. Worse. I wasn't allowed by my friends I was partying with, to drive myself home. It's kind of embarrassing actually. Does that mean, the fact that they didn't think I was fit to drive, sort of translates to me finally getting drunk? Huh.

All those who know me, know very well that I have an insanely high tolerance for alcohol. I can probably outdrink any macho guy (and I did, once or twice) and not feel a thing, save for a little dizziness. But that night I wasn't in the right mental and physical condition. I was tired and only had 4 hours of sleep, that's why I easily fell prey to intoxication. Damn you, Absinthe!

Anyway, I was forced to leave my car in the mall parking lot and a friend brought me home by cab. I went back the next day to get it, and got an unexpected birthday surprise: a P1,000 overnight parking fee. Now, this would have been number 9 on my 'first things' list had I not experienced this before. ;)

But let me make this clear, I am very much against drunk driving. And kids, don't drink and drive!

First Thing #9 - Take an exam with a hangover.
So after the early morning partying mentioned above (I went home around 2am), I woke up at 6am to take the FSO exam. My mom accompanied me to the exam venue, and she wondered where my car was. I just told her vaguely, "I left it in BTC".

Anyway, the whole thing is a bit hazy. Everyone there must've thought I was a bit of a loser because I kept dozing off while waiting for the exam to start. But I had to do this with my head upright or everything around me starts spinning. I was sleepy, hungry and hungover. (I also forgot to bring a pen, when it was specifically mentioned to bring one. So I ended up borrowing from the proctor. Yup, now I'm positive they thought I was a loser.)

I've never gone to class, let alone take an exam, with a hangover before even when I was in college. (I may have been late for an exam, or have dozed off while taking one. But that's another story.) That's why I kinda found it funny that I had to do this now, for a very important exam at that.

I can't remember much of the questions now and I'm surprised I even got to answer them. But I was the second one to finish the exam! I'm just not sure if it's because the exam was easy or because I was just really eager to be done with it. I'm praying that I pass, though. Hopefully, Lady Luck was smiling down upon me and will let me pass just because it's my birthday. :)

---------------
So those were the 2 crazy things I did on my special day. Just a little clarification, though. The things I have been doing and writing about here are not necessarily on my Bucket List (who, in their right mind, hopes to take an exam while drunk, before dying?). I'd like to think that I have more meaningful and less selfish aspirations than these. :P

All I'm doing is trying out new things I've never done before. It makes life more interesting, don't you think? So go out there and do things you've never done before. It doesn't have to be big or bold, just as long as it's something new.
As Charles Muntz of the movie Up says, "Adventure is out there!"

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:24 PM

    hahahaha,right, i've never seen you get wasted!I've had my dose of #8, but not yet on #9 - but who knows? I also have a knack of NOT acting my age. teehee. I hate going to exams unprepared - to me feels like I'm drowning, can't breathe, overwhelming panic - am sure you get the picture. but way to go for a memorable bday celeb!cheers cheers! were you groovin' to 80's beat by any chance? hehehe, that would've been the best! P.E. dance moves! -prulee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Prulee!!! You bet I was groovin' to 80s music! You now I'm always 'in the mood for dancin', romancin'" Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that explains the two #2 pencils, well-sharpened, that you borrowed from me. They looked exactly what they were. unused. haha!
    am sure you aced it. you were worse than i was. took a gov't exam sick (like, slept thru half of it), but drunk, nah, not YET. and forget about the P1,000 O.N. parking. It was well worth it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:00 PM

    i made a comment. now where is it?!

    ReplyDelete