Friday, April 06, 2007

27 Things I'm Thankful For

No point denying it, I’m now 27 years old. So instead of whining, (which I noticed, I frequently do) I’m listing down 27 things I’m grateful for. (This is also in celebration of the Holy Week) Warning: for everyone who know me as contra-sentimental, this piece may shock you a bit. =p

1. Life. Although at times I may feel down and wish that I could just sleep the whole day away, I’m still grateful for being alive. He has blessed me with 27 years of life, which I should’ve used more wisely. But today’s a new day, and I’m set to do more positive things from now on.
2. Parents. I’m really lucky to have such patient, understanding, and loving parents as I have. Any parent, who’d have me as a kid, surely deserves to be canonized as a saint. Without them, my siblings and I wouldn’t be the persons we are today. Love ya, and I promise to make you prouder of me.
3. Siblings. I probably couldn’t have gone through childhood and puberty as sanely as I did, without my younger sibs. I’m thankful for my one and only sis, Belle, for being my partner and acting like the older one through most of my misadventures. Thanks, Jong, for being tolerant of me, during times of misunderstanding. Carlo, thanks for being my voice of reason and for being not afraid to point out my flaws. Love ya, guys.
4. Best Friends. Awee, Cheeky, Yang and Angelo: you are the greatest friends a person could have. Though we’re miles apart, my heart will always be next to yours. I’m lucky to have met you and I couldn’t imagine the last 10 years of my life, without you guys in it. Here’s to more years of laughter and happy tears =)
5. Good Friends. Living away from my best friends, would’ve been utterly unbearable without my other friends. I’m thankful for the support they give me day-to-day, and I’m sorry for not realizing that sometimes. Pining over friends who are far away, usually stops me from seeing how wonderful they truly are. Thanks, from the bottom of my heart.
6. Househelp. Thanks to Maning and Mely, they make our lives a lot easier and more comfortable.
7. Pets. Our dogs, Bullet and Chiqui never fail to uplift my sagging spirits. Thanks to them, I’m still able to re-connect with the child in me.
8. Work. I’m lucky to have work, when millions are still jobless. I may often complain of the workload, but bottom line is, I’m still thankful I have work. Thank God also for the people I work with, they make the long work hours bearable.
9. Money. Some say that ‘money is the root of all evil.’ But I think it’s how you use it that makes it evil. I’m thankful for money because it provides for me, and allows me to enjoy what I’ve worked for.
10. Talents. Thank God for giving me talents, (used or seldom-used) as I’m hopefully able to give joy to others with it.
11. Books, TV and Movies. These things helped me go to places I’ve never been, and live a life other than my own. Thank God for the talents behind every book, TV show and movie.
12. Eye sight. I can never imagine my life without being able to see things: sunsets, sunrise, movies, books, people.
13. Manila. ‘Manila, Manila, I keep coming back to Manila. Simply no place like Manila. Manila. I’m coming home.” My best childhood and my best coming of age years have all happened in Manila. ‘Nuff said.
14. Cebu. It took me a long time to appreciate where I’m living. Now, it would always be home to me. Where else can you live in a bustling city, that’s a few minutes away from the beach or from the mountains? Heaven!
15. Fine Weather. What’s Cebu without great weather, all-year round? A sunshiny day always puts me in a good mood.
16. Nature. ‘Stop and smell the roses’ I’ve never actually done it, nor will I ever do it, but I thank God for all the good things He’s created. I’m thankful for the beach, mountains, trees, animals, the sun, etc.
17. My Body. It’s far from being the ultimate body of my dreams, but it’s mine and it’s the only body I have. I’m thankful for not having any disabilities or any sickness.
18. Good Food. It has never been absent in any aspect of my life—be it celebrating a happy moment, or nursing a sad heart. I thank all those who had a hand in preparing those delectable dishes. Yummy!
19. Coffee. What’s a good meal without a fine cup of coffee to follow it? Never would’ve survived those late-night studying and early morning trudging to work, without my brew.
20. Warm Bed. I thank God for having a warm bed to sleep in, when others have no choice but to lie on the streets.
21. Sense of Humor. This has gotten me through some bizarre and trying moments. Thank God for sarcasm.
22. Music. Each memorable part of my life has a theme song. Without songs and music, life would be deafeningly boring.
23. The Internet. Through the Internet, I’m able to do a lot of things, have new discoveries, and most of all be connected with loved ones.
24. Budget Airlines. Thanks to those who are constantly trying to make airfare cheaper. Now, everybody can travel.
25. Mobile Phones. Texting has made all of our lives much more convenient. It’s much easier now to look for people by typing “WRU?” than dropping ‘tatlong beinte sinco’ down the nearest payphone.
26. Spas and Beauty Salons. A woman’s life would never be complete without a monthly trip to the salon/spa for a much-needed R&R.
27. Weekends. Time to take a break and catch some ZZZZs.

No comments:

Post a Comment